We are seeking a full-time analyst with expertise in China’s energy and/or technology and innovation issues. The position is well-suited to candidates who have a demonstrated background in China’s energy or scitech sectors, from its carbon neutrality pledge to its regulations on big tech and AI and interest in advising global government and business decision-makers. Expertise in either the energy or sci-tech sector is sufficient, but candidates with some knowledge of both of these areas will be at an advantage.
Native-level Chinese, strong research skills, attention to detail, and the ability to draft in clear English are required. This is a remote position.
energy and environment portfolio
The energy and environment portfolio closely monitors and maps China’s energy and environment governance and structural transition. Portfolio analysts track policy changes, industry dynamics and the business environment for both domestic and foreign investment. Topics the portfolio watches closely include, but are not limited to: emissions reductions, environmental governance, pollution issues, climate change, environmental regulations’ impacts on industries, power sector reform, oil and gas sector reform, renewable energy development, etc.
science, technology and innovation portfolio
- manage portfolio tasks and junior staff
- keep abreast of domestic debates, signal events, trends, and key actors and agencies
- summarise and translate policy-relevant articles from Chinese to English
- analyse and assess policy movement across the sectors
- draft policy analysis, including reports and longer-form articles
- develop people and agency profiles
- contribute, where appropriate, to other China Policy analysis
- present findings to clients and colleagues
knowledge and skills
- expertise in energy, tech, innovation and/or environment policy in the PRC
- professional standard English (with strong writing skills)
- singular attention to detail and clear communicator
- outstanding academic achievement (MA-qualified)
- intellectual curiosity
- native-level Chinese
- commitment to deadlines
- flexible, independent, and proactive work style
minimum English language requirements
TOEFL 25 writing, overall score 105+; IELTS 7.0 writing, overall score 7.5+